Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor has been arrested on suspicion of misconduct in public office by police investigating the former prince’s dealings with the convicted child sex offender Jeffrey Epstein.
In unprecedented scenes, unmarked police cars and plainclothes officers were seen at Mountbatten-Windsor’s residence at Wood Farm on the Sandringham estate at about 8am.
The former prince, who was stripped of his titles last year but remains eighth in line to the throne, was held in custody on his 66th birthday by Thames Valley police as officers searched the Norfolk property as well his former home in the Royal Lodge in Great Windsor Park.
As royal commentators raced to provide wall-to-wall analysis to news broadcasters across the world, King Charles gave his backing to the police investigation, stating the “law must take its course” and expressing “deepest concern” over the arrest of his brother. It is understood the Prince and Princess of Wales endorse the king’s message.
“What now follows is the full, fair and proper process by which this issue is investigated in the appropriate manner and by the appropriate authorities,” the king said in a statement. “In this, as I have said before, they have our full and wholehearted support and cooperation.”
In the glare of increased public scrutiny, the king and queen continued their royal duties with Charles attending three separate in-person audiences at St James’s Palace and Camilla visiting the Sinfonia Smith Square in Westminster for a lunchtime orchestral concert.
Meanwhile, Princess Anne was reportedly visiting a prison, HMP Leeds, in her capacity as patron of the Butler Trust, a UK charity that promotes the work of staff in prisons, probation and youth justice.
Thought to be the first time a member of the royal family has been arrested by police in modern history, the shock move came only hours after the prime minister, Keir Starmer, said “nobody is above the law” when questioned about Mountbatten-Windsor.

Thames Valley police said it had arrested “a man in his 60s from Norfolk” on suspicion of misconduct in public office and was carrying out searches at addresses in Berkshire and Norfolk.
Oliver Wright, one of the force’s assistant chief constables, said: “Following a thorough assessment, we have now opened an investigation into this allegation of misconduct in public office. It is important that we protect the integrity and objectivity of our investigation as we work with our partners to investigate this alleged offence. We understand the significant public interest in this case, and we will provide updates at the appropriate time.”
Norfolk police confirmed they were supporting Thames Valley’s investigation. The whereabouts of Mountbatten-Windsor is unknown. It is understood neither the king nor Buckingham Palace was informed in advance of Mountbatten-Windsor’s arrest.
Mountbatten-Windsor has always denied any wrongdoing or accusations against him. Thames Valley is one of a number of police forces to have assessed allegations that resurfaced when the so-called Epstein files were published by the US justice department.
The force said previously it was reviewing allegations that a woman was trafficked to the UK by Epstein to have a sexual encounter with Andrew, and claims he shared sensitive information with the disgraced financier while serving as the UK’s trade envoy.

The family of the late Virginia Giuffre, who accused Mountbatten-Windsor of sexually abusing her when she was 17 as part of a sex trafficking ring run by Epstein and Ghislaine Maxwell – allegations the former prince has denied – released a statement on Thursday.
Her family members Sky and Amanda Roberts and Danny and Lanette Wilson said: “At last. Today, our broken hearts have been lifted at the news that no one is above the law, not even royalty. On behalf of our sister, Virginia Roberts Giuffre, we extend our gratitude to the UK’s Thames Valley police for their investigation and arrest of Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor. He was never a prince. For survivors everywhere, Virginia did this for you.”

Wright said previously information was evaluated during an assessment phase to determine whether a criminal offence was suspected and a full investigation required. “Allegations of misconduct in public office involve particular complexities, and therefore an assessment must be conducted carefully and thoroughly,” he said at a press briefing last week.
“While we cannot provide timescales over when a decision as to whether a criminal investigation will be opened, we can assure you that Thames Valley police is making progress as quickly as possible.”
Responding to Mountbatten-Windsor’s arrest, the former prime minister Gordon Brown said: “I have submitted a five-page memorandum to the Metropolitan, Surrey, Sussex, Thames Valley and other relevant UK police constabularies.
“This memorandum provides new and additional information to that which I submitted last week to the Met, Essex and Thames Valley police forces where I expressed my concern that we secure justice for trafficked girls and women.”
According to the Crown Prosecution Service’s website, misconduct in public office carries a maximum sentence of life imprisonment.
Republic, a group that campaigns to abolish the monarchy, welcomed the arrest, which it claimed was in response to a crime report sent to Thames Valley police by its chief executive, Graham Smith. He said: “Republic’s lawyers will continue to investigate related alleged offences and provide information to the police over the coming weeks and months.”
The allegations stem from documents released by the US justice department relating to Epstein and his links to the rich and powerful. Emails released appeared to show Mountbatten-Windsor sharing reports of official visits to Hong Kong, Vietnam and Singapore.
One email, dated November 2010, appeared to be forwarded by the former duke to Epstein five minutes after it was sent by his then special adviser, Amir Patel. Another, seemingly sent on Christmas Eve 2010, included a confidential brief on investment opportunities in the reconstruction of Helmand province, Afghanistan.
Show more
Before the arrest was announced, Keir Starmer told BBC Breakfast “nobody is above the law” when asked about Andrew. “Anybody who has any information should testify,” the prime minister said.
In a statement, the CPS said: “We are in close contact with the Metropolitan police Service and Thames Valley police regarding high-profile individuals. We remain ready to support any police investigations if needed.”
Last October, amid growing anxiety within the royal household about the reputational risk to the monarchy caused by headlines concerning Mountbatten-Windsor’s friendship with Epstein, Buckingham Palace announced it would strip him of his royal titles. It was also announced the former duke would move out of the Royal Lodge in Windsor.
Mountbatten-Windsor has been approached for comment.

7 hours ago
8

















































